The lunch box
The first thing on my list would be an awesome bento box, why do I use the Stuck on You Bento Box? They’re an Australian company that are literally 5 minutes drive from me. However, most importantly, they give back into the community and they support a lot of mum’s in need through local charities, Geelong Mum’s is one. Any company that helps and supports mum’s and children in need wins my business. So now that I have my new personalised bento boxes, it’s time to rock!
Must have shopping items for the first week.
The following items are what I generally always have in the cupboard or fridge.
- hi fibre white bread sliced (always soft and easy to use)
- packet of Croissants (pack of 4 usually from Coles)
- packet of wholemeal wraps (I use the Mission ones, so many varieties of flavours)
You can freeze the bread, croissant and wraps so they will last a couple of weeks, you can take out the slices the night before so they defrost.
- bag of carrots
- packet of mini cucumbers
- punnet of melody tomatoes
These are generally the vegetables I use, they usually last for a week x 2 lunch boxes per day.
- few hundred grams of grapes
- 5 apples
- 2 avocado’s
- 1 mango
- 1 punnet of strawberries
- quarter of a watermelon
- honey dew melon or a rock melon
- 2 pears
- blueberries (far out they’re expensive sometimes)
- 2 kiwi fruit
The fruit will always vary depending on what’s in season. Be picky when picking the fruit, it’s OK to try before you buy, but don’t get caught!
- packet penne pasta
- box of crackers (salt reduced and baked)
- packet of cheese sticks, go for the salt reduced please.
- packet of grated cheese
- ham, 6 slices should be enough for the week
- eggs, I usually get a dozen only because my wife and I eat them too.
- sliced turkey, 2 slices.
- unsalted pop corn
- Italian grissini (bread sticks)
If you have most of these you will be pretty much set for the week. I usually shop on Sunday’s and make it an adventure with my girls. It’s fun for the first 2 minutes!
You’ll be well covered if you have most of the above ingredients, I figure it will last a week or more, however, replenish fruit if it’s not right to eat.
The only rule I abide by is washing the fruit and vegetables well, otherwise apart from this, there are no rules, be creative and rock those lunches. There is no right or wrong, limit sugar or cut it out altogether…